Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Bringing things up to date


On Monday August 2 I left Ludlow Vermont for Dartmouth College in Hanover, NH to see Kyle. He is attending Summer school at Tuck Business School. He is really enjoying it and learning a lot. The college is beautiful. It reminded me a lot of Chapel Hill 30 years ago. I lived there when I got my Master's degree and when I was first married.

We had a tasty lunch and then I took a leisurely drive over hill and dale, coming around Squam Lake, through Center Harbor to Moultonborough. My dearest friend JJ has an outstanding house on Lake Winnepausakee. We took long walks. She took me for wonderful long rides around the lake looking at the magnificent houses that are only visited on limited weekends.

We had lunch at a place called Castle in the Clouds. The view was beautiful but we couldn't eat out because of drizzle. The inside dining is a converted carriage house and you eat in the barn stalls. Back to the house and the clouds are clearing for a beautiful sunset!

        



I stayed at the lake until Wednesday morning. I drove the scenic route back and did some shopping for the Vermont house "The Box" on the way back. I never knew where Weirs Beach, Colby Sawyer College and so many boarded up downtowns were before. They were all very New England.

Thursday August 5

Resting, catching up on emails, bills, paperwork. Today would have been my 31st wedding anniversary…

Friday August 6

Chores around The Box… Errands for tomorrow… Excited
Saturday August 7

I drove to Lake George to meet old friends Chris Keane and Barbara Keane and Karen Reinhardt. I took a longer route to drive thru W. Pawlet where my father, Herbert Meller, used to live. It was a wonderful drive over the mountains on roads that aren't open in the Winter. At one point two Spring fawns rang in front of my car. My father, had converted an abandoned coal depot into a house and had some adjoining properties. The adjoining properties looked better than before but the house itself was so overgrown and rundown looking.



So on to Lake George. It was a long, laugh filled afternoon, cruising the lake, drinking mojitos. We looked at more houses that no one uses. Anchored and swam in a cove.

Afterwards we went back to a house that Chris had borrowed from his friend. Thanks friend it was really comfortable. We went out to dinner, all a little tired but having enjoyed a fun day. More tomorrow!



We started out with breakfast with Chris' Mom. What a hoot

For those who don't know – the three on the right: Karen, Me, Chris were in grade school together. Chris and I just figured out that we were in Nursery school together. Then he went to Catholic School. We all got back together in Middle School (6-8) and then High School. I left after Sophomore year though Karen and Chris remained close friends. I only got back in touch 4 years ago.

Karen and I went to Woodstock together, yes Woodstock.




Back to the Lake. We "hung" on the lake for a bit waiting for Chris and Barbara's son Michael who joined us with his girlfriend. Nice youngin's. We went to a cove and swam ashore where Barbara led us to a beautiful waterfall. Back to the house, quick change and on the road.
 
Monday August 9, 2010

Busy day. I'm going to be the local handy person. There are 8 bricks that need to be taken out and put back in with real mortar. I actually mixed the mortar and did it. The faucet in the kitchen is cracked and leaking and needs to be replaced. Chris Keane gave me a plumbers special tool for this project over the weekend. It's called a basin wrench, very cool, really worked and I changed the kitchen faucet. Then I showered and went back to Dartmouth to take Kyle out to dinner.

He is outstanding. He has really taken it all in during this program. We had a great time. The drive back was tough at first. There was a horrendous thunder storm with pounding rain. They even interrupted on the radio about flash floods but the warning was for an area North of me and I was heading South. I decided to keep going and I drove out of the worst of it after about 15 minutes. Phew. I don't really like driving in the dark.


Tuesday until now

Wow, here I am somewhat caught up. The entries brief but I'm going to try to keep it up now. I'm a little stuck in getting out of here (Vermont). Gonna pack the car now and hit the road in the morning!!!!

 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment