Saturday, August 14, 2010

Truly a day of Ambling...

Thursday August 12, 2010

I set my GPS for the "shortest" route and within 10 minutes I was on a road closed by a padlocked fence.  Okay this wasn't going to work.  I know there are people in my world that are already laughing...

So I figured out a new way to program the gps and had a wonderful drive for the next 4 hours.  I drive from mid-State Vermont to Upstate New York never hitting a major highway.  I saw wonderful barns, silos, and quaint little towns.  If I had stopped for all the photo ops I never would have made any progress.  Also it was alternating with pouring rain and cloudy skies so I tried taking photos from the car but they didn't come out well. I will only include this one.  It's amazing to me that they have a sign like this on even a small road...
Welcome to New York

I found that hours on these back roads were not nearly as tiring as the same amount of time on the interstate.  So much to look at.  The highlight was probably the two horse buggies of four amish boys.  They waved happily.
 
About 3PM I did call Hotels.com to find a place to stay, oy.  Rome, New York can be missed.  Nothing there but the Erie Canal.  Found a decent place to eat but the Quality Inn (which was the best I could find) was pretty bad.  Internet didn't work, which is why my posts are two days late.  Also I ended up with a room overlooking the road - trucks ALL night.

Onward the next day.



No comments:

Post a Comment